Friday, October 16, 2009

A road trip made of WIN and covered in AWESOMESAUCE.

Those of you who have been reading lately might have gotten the idea that something was afoot, based on some of the posts I've written and my not-quite-so-frequent posting. There's a reason for that, and a damn good one. :-)
You might have guessed I have a sweetheart. If you did, well, you'd be right -- the one who, as I've said before, shares my passions and stirs my intellect like no other. She lives some distance away, and we've been chatting on Facebook for a few weeks now. The whole thing, as many things of this nature do, started out as her and me being just friends. One thing led to another and we found out we had A LOT in common -- outlook on life, a deep affinity for the old country and a love of all things Texas, and that was just for starters. Mind you, all of this was before the Facebook friending. She and I got to talking on Facebook not quite a month ago. During one of our first conversations, I made a comment about remembering birthdays & anniversaries, and she told me that'd get me brownie points. I am not sure what exactly prompted me to ask this, but I asked her what long, slow kisses & fingers in her hair would get me. Her answer:
"Actual brownies!"
And so it started. She told me of her past, and how she had been hurt deeply by the man who vowed to love her forever, and how she was reluctant to trust again. But even so, no matter how long it would take, I just couldn't let her slip away from me. I just got a feeling deep inside of me, that we would be good for each other. And so one thing led to another, and I made plans to go to her hometown after certain obligations on my part were taken care of in mid-November. Well, things are still on track for that....but yesterday, she and I were chatting on Facebook as we always do during the day, and she told me she was trying not to think of the fact that we were both free the next day. Me being the smartass that I can be sometimes, I repeated it back to her -- that we were both free the next day -- and we started toying around with the idea of meeting halfway between here and there.
"Pistolero....say the word and I'll be out the door."
"Let's do it."
"Meet me back here in about an hour."
So I went home, took a shower and changed clothes, packed a suitcase and we finalized the details. I was out the door about 5:30 or so, on I-10 westbound. Lucky for me I missed the Houston traffic, but once I got to my destination -- Columbus, Texas, some 70 miles west of Houston -- I had a bitch of a time finding the hotel. But I finally did, and pulled up beside her green car, and got out as she opened the door and smiled at me.
"I thought I'd never get here!"
But I did, and as I did, I took her in my arms, and we kissed, so long and so slow. And so began the lead-in to what she described as the "best Thursday ever." You hear a lot of people say that in-person meeting is what tells the tale, and that's the truth. The truth, if it is there, is also in the touch. And when she touched me, when she kissed me, when she held me, the truth was so strong I could feel it, to the depths of my soul. There's no way that could be faked. And she feels it in mine as well. More truths made themselves known in the last day. You recall the old music I spoke of earlier. Well, we were in my truck and I had the Sirius radio on, and she and I sang along to all the same songs. I have known no one in my life who has ever done that with me. No one. I never knew the music was such a vital part of me, but it is, and she shares that with me -- along with everything else. She told me she brought a book to read. I remember telling her I was thinking she'd brought it for other reasons, and that it would really suck if she'd had to read that book lying on the couch as I was in the bed, or vice-versa. I've said before here, in comments, that she was my female twin. She later told me that she got a really bad vibe from that, and let's just say I'm glad she did get that bad vibe. It would totally suck if we were related, because when she lies in my arms, she feels like she was made just for them. In short? She's just as beautiful, sharp-witted, funny and intelligent in real life as she is online. (Oh, and she brought me actual brownies, too! We ate them at this little park on the Colorado River just outside of town. :-)) And you readers might have gotten this idea before now, but I finally must confess it here...
I love you, Sabra.