Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ahhhh, one of my favorite Hag tunes...

here: "My hat don't hang on the same nail too long, my ears can't stand to hear the same old song... and I don't leave the highway long enough, to bog down in the mud...'cause I've got ramblin' fever in my blood..."
I don't even know how many times I've heard that song, but I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Maybe it'd be different if it was one of those older songs that got overplayed a la "He Stopped Loving Her Today," but even so, it's still a great, great tune.
And I just thought of something else. Way back when on some forgotten message board, the "real country vs. pop" debate was raging, somebody mused that Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" was as good of a country song as anything that ever came from Merle Haggard's pen. That might sound ludicrous at first, but not so much when you look at the lyrics:
"And the road becomes my bride, I have stripped of all but pride, so in her I do confide, and she keeps me satisfied...gives me all I need...and with dust in throat I crave, only knowledge will I save, to the game you stay a slave...Rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will..."
Who knew classic country and hard rock would ever be so close together? I'd have never guessed...