Friday, October 05, 2007

Rant of the Day: Colt Snobbery

Seems that here and there I see people dumping on certain brands of 1911s, certain as in everything that doesn't have the prancing pony on it. You probably know exactly what I'm talking about, too:
"If it ain't a Colt it is a copy."
To each his own, but I find that to be the most infuriating type of gun snobbery out there. I know Colt was the original 1911 manufacturer and that everyone who came after them was more or less following in their footsteps. So technically I suppose one could say that everything that came after the Colt WAS a copy...but it seems to me that the implication of the term is that every 1911 that isn't a Colt isn't worthy -- or is less worthy -- of the name, the legacy, or the reputation, and pardon my french, but I just can't help but call bullshit on that. Every now and then I am tempted to unleash teh snark on some unsuspecting prancing-pony worshipper who's looking down his nose and ask him, "What about an Ithaca? Or Remington-Rand or Singer? Were THEY copies too?" I can confidently say that I have n-e-v-e-r, not even once, seen any Colt worshipper talking smack about anything that the troops used in the great wars of the first half of the 20th century, Colt rollmark or no. And I can't help but think that it's solely because of where those guns have been. Which by itself is worthy of a measure of respect, granted -- but still, I can't help but wonder what the Colt worshippers would be saying if Remington-Rand, Singer or Ithaca were still cranking out 1911s today.
I don't have any experience with Colts. I'll admit it. I would like to own one at some point, but as of yet it hasn't worked out for me to get one -- mainly because of my personal priorities vis-a-vis what I want in my gun collection. I COULD have had a Colt a long time ago but wanted other guns first. And I don't understand why, for example, my Springfields are somehow less worthy just because they don't have the prancing pony on them. I don't think I settled for less, and I don't think I'll be settling for less when I get that Dan Wesson Razorback either...and I'll go on record as saying that anyone who does think I am settling for less can go jump in the lake.