Saturday, October 27, 2007

...and I should care, why?

Via Cassy Fiano comes this interview with John Rich of the mainstream country audio freakshow-trainwreck Big and Rich:


John is an avid supportive of Fred Thompson's presidential bid because he's a conservative who agrees with Fred's voting record.
*snip*

The pro-lifer is against gay marriage.

"I think if you legalize that, you've got to legalize some other things that are pretty unsavory," he says. "You can call me a radical, but how can you tell an aunt that she can't marry her nephew if they are really in love and sharing the bills? How can you tell them they can't get married, but something else that's unnatural can happen?"
We are encouraged to show our support for Big and Rich the best we can. And for the life of me I can't understand why. I would guess part of this support would include buying cds, concert tickets 'n' swag. And I just won't do that just because John Rich says something I agree with, just as I didn't throw my Dixie Chick cds under the bus because of their asinine remarks on the London stage in March 2003. When it all gets down to the nitty-gritty, to be honest I really don't care what these people think and I don't understand why so many people do. I do wish many of them would keep their mouths shut, though. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- one of the reasons I so admire George Strait is that he stays the hell away from the political crap and lets himself and his art stand on their own merits instead of throwing sand in the gears by doing stupid shit like what Rich and the Dixie Chicks did. And yeah, it's stupid. These people shouldn't be touted as authorities on politics -- or looked up to -- any more than the New England Journal of Medicine should be touted or looked up to as an authority on guns; as a matter of fact, I personally am that much less inclined to support Big and Rich, if only because of those who agree with John Rich saying we should support them because of what he said.