Sunday, September 20, 2009

I could be off base here...

...but I am not sure how this is relevant to what the guy did...

Richard Alden Samuel McCroskey III rapped about the thrill of murder in songs he posted on the Internet. Police believe the fantasy lyrics became a gruesome reality in a small Virginia college town.

Huh. So are we going to start looking with a suspicious eye at anyone who writes violent songs and posts them on the Internet? I am not a fan of rap music in the least, but its purveyors have the same First Amendment rights the rest of us do, and of course there are other genres and subgenres of music that speak of violent acts too, to wit:
Slamming through, don't fuck with razorback
Stepping out? You'll feel our hell on your back
Blood follows blood and we make sure
Life ain't for you and we're the cure

and
Pillage the village, trash the scene,
but, better not take it out on me
'Cause a ghost town is found
Where your city used to be
So out of the darkness and into the light
Sparks fly everywhere in sight
From my double barrel, 12 gauge,
Can't lock me in your cage
And there's a lot more where that came from. Good grief, you'd seriously think we'd have gotten past that "extreme music is bad, hmmmkay?" thing after the whole PMRC controversy blew over. I could be off base here too, but I don't remember any stories about fans of extreme metal (as in a hell of a lot more violent than Metallica or Pantera, the two bands referred to above) going out and committing multiple murders. To whatever extent it might have happened, though, I don't think the music's the problem here.