Sunday, September 07, 2008

Yeah, I have a real problem with that...

More and more I've been hearing some of the hits from the early 1990s on Rowdy Yates' classic country show on KILT, from folks like Brooks & Dunn ("Neon Moon"), John Michael Montgomery ("Life's A Dance") and Collin Raye ("Love, Me"). I don't have anything against those folks, and I guess technically speaking those songs ARE country gold, but just the same I have a real problem with them being played on a classic country show when radio programmers by and large threw the old music off the air when those guys and their contemporaries came along in the post-Garth Brooks era. Granted, it's gotten a lot better in recent years, but considering those artists -- and those very songs -- still get played on the radio and never really went away to begin with, it just makes me wonder, what's the point?