Thursday, November 08, 2007

Thoughts on the 2007 CMA Awards...

...or rather, the award winners, one in particular...
I didn't see the CMA Awards, but I thought it would be interesting to see who took them home. No really big surprises, I guess, though it was good to see Brad Paisley take home Male Vocalist of the Year. If George Strait couldn't take it, Paisley was the next best choice.
And how 'bout ole George? 2007 Album of the Year for It Just Comes Natural, and he had a tie to Song of the Year (which actually goes to the writers) for "Give It Away." I thought that was one of the best songs on George's record and was glad to see it do so well, as I was the album too. The last time Strait took home the Album of the Year Award was in 1998, for Carrying Your Love With Me. I thought that was pretty appropriate, considering I said when It Just Comes Natural came out that it was George's best album in the last 10 years. It makes me wonder when the last time was that a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame took home a major award after being inducted. It's amazing, just absolutely amazing that he can do so well after all this time and after all the changes in the genre through the 26 years since he had his first hit record. Congratulations, George. Now when's the next album gonna come out?
;-)