Saturday, November 10, 2007

Looking For A Good Gun, Eh?

Via ye olde Sitemetre, from Los Angeles, California, are Kimber 1911s good guns?
The answer to that one more or less depends on who you ask. In my experience the Kimbers have been great, and the folks I've run into on the range like them too. To be honest the only bad things I've heard about the Kimbers have come from the Internet gun boards. How much more accurate those reports are of the state of Kimbers as a whole I haven't a clue; I've heard it said more than once that a dissatisfied customer is much more likely to speak up than a satisfied customer is. That might explain part of the bad Internet reports on the Kimbers, though not all of them. I've also heard Kimber's customer service leaves much to be desired, though I've never had to deal with them and hope I never have to. I am not at all averse to buying another Kimber, but I've said it before and I'll say it again...in my experience the Springfield Armory 1911 is every bit the equal of the Kimber that'll take $150 more out of your wallet. I'd also be amiss if I didn't mention the Dan Wesson 1911s, too...I had always heard great things about them as well, specifically the quality of the pistols after the CZ buyout, and so far my experience with the Dan Wesson Razorback has been very good. You'll be getting a good gun if you buy a Kimber, but don't drink the Kimber Kool-Aid. They're good, but I just can't honestly say they're THAT much better than the Springfield or Dan Wesson 1911s. There are also the Colt and Smith & Wesson 1911s to consider, but I've never had any experience with either of those.