Sunday, May 21, 2006

More Bravo-Sierra Hysterics From the Violence Policy Center

Interesting discussion going on over at The High Road re: this press release from the rabid, frothing-at-the-mouth gun-grabbers at the Violence Policy Center (via KABA):

Written attacks on law enforcement are common on pro-gun web sites and discussion forums. A web site -- http://www.keepandbeararms.com -- owned by the Second Amendment Foundation, which filed a suit against the City of New Orleans with the NRA challenging gun confiscations during Katrina, regularly has posted comments attacking law enforcement. The web site has a section titled "The Authorities" which features alleged government intrusions on gun ownership and police misconduct. Posts on the site that appeared following Hurricane Katrina and reports of weapon confiscations included:
* "I do not care who you are, or what authority you claim to possess. If you attempt to disarm me, I will kill you. It is becoming increasingly clear that the government will use any tragedy or excuse to violate our rights and further expand their totalitarian regime....When the government begins to violate the rights of citizens under the auspices of keeping order, hunt down and kill all who follow such illegal orders. Only in this way will liberty prevail."

* "It was obvious that the lawyer in question [who said that he would not give up his guns, but later did] was talk talk talk, and not shoot shoot shoot."

* "Twenty JBT's [jack-booted thugs] outside your house may be bullet proof but they're not fire proof."

* "I hear that some JBTs [jack-booted thugs] enjoy cocktails after work. One cocktail they wouldn't enjoy would be a molotov cocktail."

* "The question is simple: would you give the cops a piece of crap gun to send them on their way. Or would you be willing to ambush the cops at your door and then have to leave your home and family to go on the run. Would you be willing to stay and fight and be killed. Or do you have people on your street that would be willing to fight and put the cops in a cross fire keeping them out of the area. The big question would you be ready to die in a gun battle."

* "From my upstairs window, I can cover the front yards of three neighbors. I make head shots at that range freehand all the time. With .223 fmj [full-metal jacket] and up, vest penetration shouldn't be a problem, either."

* "I have read several accounts, that if it were me, there would have been gun play. I don't say that lightly, however, I would not willingly be illegally disarmed and/or have my dogs shot. I may go down, but I guarantee that I would take more than one of the bastards with me. It is not too much of a stretch with superior weapons to take down a few rogue police. I would seriously try and avoid a confrontation with the military. For one thing, they do not have an agenda, and for another they will have superior firepower and numbers."

* "I will let the government (city, state, or federal) take my firearms one round at a time, after a good sight picture and trigger squeeze. Give me liberty or give me DEATH!!!



I said it on THR, and I'll say it here...try as I may, I just can't find anything wrong with the comments the VPC made out to be such a big deal. It would seem that those control freaks think our exercise of our First Amendment rights is just as bad as our vociferous defense of our Second Amendment rights. Yeah, I find the whole "jack-booted thug" reference to be a little unsettling, and in fact I think it's not a term that we should be using, as word choice here is half the battle, or at least a significant part of it. However, while I am not exactly sure what terms we should use to refer to those who would carry out that disarmament edict, whatever we call them, it doesn't change the basic fact that what they're doing is robbing us of a right they didn't grant us in the first place. That, my friends, is what we should be hammering home. And while bloodshed may well be an uncomfortable thing to contemplate, to take my words from THR, "...the fact is that there are people out there who will strip us of our liberties for the so-called 'common good,' and it's been shown that...appeals to reason, the innate rights of free peoples and the principles of law simply will not work with these people. So what's left? From where I sit, at that point you only have two choices -- either you fight those who would strip you of your freedom, with the tools at your disposal, or you submit to them and wait to see what the next freedom is that they'll take from you for the aforementioned 'common good.' It might well not look so good to see some of us talk of taking down law enforcement with guns and such...but our actions as a whole show that we are an eminently peaceable demographic, am I wrong here? I don't look for the Bradys and Sugarmanns of the world to point out the societal and political benefits of gun ownership, but then I try not to get too afraid of the extremist Sugarmann types. I think the last time I saw the Violence Policy Center quoted in the newspapers I read was when AP reporter Rose French did the hatchet job on Ronnie Barrett's .50 caliber rifle. That's not to say that's the only time since then that a VPC hack has been seen as the go-to person on a gun-related article, but I'd like to think the VPC doesn't hold nearly as much influence now as it did back when the Clintons were running things. I know that could change in the blink of an eye, and it's best that we be vigilant and keep in mind that no matter what we say, it's going to be taken out of context by Sugarmann and his evil minions and made to be the big deal that it isn't."

And if you think that's off base, take a look at this jaw-dropper from Mr. Sugarmann:

...The NRA is expert at exploiting high-profile events involving alleged infringement of their perceived 'freedoms' as red meat to motivate the pro-gun hard core.


How do you like that? According to Josh Sugarmann, our right of self defense is not a God-given or natural right, it's a "perceived 'freedom,'" that he obviously thinks that we freedom lovers pulled out of our collective asses. But that really isn't the most infuriating thing of all. That honor belongs to the fact that Sugarmann and his evil statist thugs will sit up there and scream as loud as they can for disarmament, but if it ever comes down to that, they'll send other people -- with guns, natch -- to do their dirty work. They are the worst kind of hypocrites. And gallons and gallons of innocent blood will be on their hands if ever it comes down to disarmament.