Tuesday, May 09, 2006

First Of Many 1911 Modifications...

Yeah, admit it, you KNEW this was comin'... ;-)
Ever since I picked up that Springfield GI Model 1911A1, I knew that I'd at least like to get a set of Hogue rubber grips on it -- specifically, the kind that wrap around the front, with the finger grooves on it. Wanted to even more, after I shot a full-size Kimber with a set of Hogues on it -- damn, did that thing ever feel good in my hand -- and finally, last Friday afternoon, I broke down and picked up a set and put 'em on last weekend.



I was amazed at how awesome those grips made that gun look, in addition to improving the feel of it. Set off that parkerized finish just perfectly, and they help me shoot it a little better, too. As far as I remember, the gun didn't have any kind of checkering on the front of the grip, which made for some loose shooting sometimes, especially one-handed, but with those finger grooves, well now, THAT's my kind of gun control!
But, it seems that not only have I caught the 1911 bug, I've also been bitten by that custom modification bug...because I managed to get my hands on a copy of the 2006 Midway USA catalog, and guess where the first place was that I flipped to in it? Thaaaat's right..."1911 Gun Parts." I am sitting here now, thinking, you know, that gun would look and shoot awesome with maybe a Commander-style hammer, and an Ed Brown Videki Long 3-hole trigger, and an ambidextrous safety would be just what the doctor ordered for this lefty...maybe a new, tighter-fitting barrel for it, and some Meprolight tritium night sights like what's on my Kimber Tactical Ultra II...possibilities abound, I could see me emptying the wallet quite easily! This will do for now, though...