Wednesday, July 28, 2010

More musical musings: Yep, that's exactly the problem....

...or, Sometimes I think I get off on the pain...

I made the lunch run just now, to this little barbecue joint on New Braunfels Avenue just north of IH-10. And once again, I left the Sirius receiver at home and surfed. I need to get out of that habit. I heard a Y100 promo that went, "We play the best country," followed by a snippet of Kid Rock's "All Summer Long." I thought to myself, all righty then, as I went on to KZEP and Bad Company...

And backing out of the place to bring home lunch, once again on Y100, I heard Jason Aldean's "Crazy Town" (thought the melody sounded like "She's Country," and that's a commentary all its own -- people think GEORGE STRAIT records the same song over and over? What the hell ever, y'all.) in which he describes Nashville as "Hollywood with a touch of twang." And I thought that summed up the problem with modern country in a nutshell, though I'm sure the songwriters probably meant it as a compliment. So back to KISS 99.5 it went. Lord knows Sirius isn't perfect, but it's still a fat lot better than terrestrial. I'd have to agree with TFG's comment here, though I do love the headbangers:

"This town don't know from country music -- it's headbangers and Nashville.  Kind of like hell would be."