Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Musical Musings: Taylor Swift, Kevin Fowler, Rascal Flatts

Yup, we're all over the musical map tonight!
First up, what is the deal with that horrible, HORRIBLE contemporary hit radio remix of Taylor Swift's "Teardrops On My Guitar"? Whoever got the bright idea for that should be severely beaten. Sounds like they just took the voice track and laid it over some peppy Sixpence None the Richer-type arrangement that just doesn't fit the song or Taylor Swift's voice at all. I really like the song itself and Taylor Swift as well; I think she has a beautiful voice and a bright future if she plays her cards right, but I had really hoped they wouldn't try to make her into some kind of pop starlet. What a shame.
I went and bought Texas singer-songwriter Kevin Fowler's latest cd today, Bring It On. I loved what I'd heard from it so far, "Long Line Of Losers," "Best Mistake I Ever Made," and "Cheaper To Keep Her," all on Leslie T's Sunday night show on KILT. And I am happy to report the rest of the cd is just as good as those songs. Favorites so far include the ones mentioned above, the George Jones duet "Me And the Boys," "Honky Tonk Junkie." More comprehensive review forthcoming, but the fact this guy isn't a star and Kenny Chesney is, well, it's just a crying shame.
And finally tonight, STOP THE PRESSES! A Rascal Flatts song I actually LIKE! "Winner At A Losing Game" is probably the best thing they've put out ever. Seems like so far with the sound they've adopted they've more or less become the country equivalent of N-Sync or the Backstreet Boys. Hell, Maroon 5 has bigger balls than Rascal Flatts does, at least as far as their music's concerned. But this song is great:

Have you ever had to love someone that just don't feel the same?
Tryin' to make somebody care for you, the way I do,
is like trying to catch the rain.
And if love is really forever, I'm a winner at a losing game.
Maybe it's because I can relate to the song, but still, it's good stuff even if it still does have more of an easy-listening groove to it. Still won't go out and buy a Rascal Flatts cd, but I don't make a mad dash to turn this song off either.