Monday, December 10, 2007

Subsidizing Bad Behavior

Just a couple of quick observations this morning, as I am still recovering from my Saturday-night bender, and yeah, I'm almost there. ;-)
Regarding the Bush administration's plan to freeze interest rates on certain adjustable-rate mortgages for five years -- is it just me, or is this setting a very bad example? I mean, I hate it that people are in danger of being kicked out on the street, but the fact of the matter is their own bad choices are what got them to that point and the .gov has absolutely no business interfering in the market to bail these people out. It's been said that you get more of what you subsidize, and while this might not be an out-and-out cash payment to those who overextended their flimsy credit, it's close enough to be setting a bad example and perhaps getting people who would otherwise think twice think, "hey, if the market gets to where I can't make it the government'll bail me out." We as Americans should be better than this, and damn those we elect for pulling this shit. What kind of message does this send to those who managed their finances more wisely? I'll tell you what message -- a big, raised-up middle finger. Question is, how many financially responsible Americans will see it as such?