Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sometimes you just gotta ask, what the hell's wrong with people?...

...and this is one such time...

A grand jury will decide whether the accidental Christmas Eve shooting death of a 14-year-old boy should lead to charges against his older brother or other relatives.

Angel Garcia died Monday night after being shot in the head by a pistol held by his 18-year-old brother, Harris County sheriff's officers said.

The incident occurred about 9 p.m. as the brothers were visiting relatives in the 6100 block of Laramie, in northeast Harris County, said sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Field.

Investigators said the older teen told them he had found his father's pistol on top of a TV. The brother, who told officers he was not familiar with guns, said he pulled the trigger and the gun did not fire.

He then pulled back the pistol's slide, which loaded a live round into the chamber, and pulled the trigger again, wounding his brother, officers said.

Maybe it's just me, but I just can't fathom pointing a gun at anyone, especially if I didn't know it was loaded. I'll admit it's been a few years since I was a teenager, but even at 18 years old I just can't see myself actually screwing around with a gun like that. I didn't have that much to do with guns back then, but a semi-automatic pistol isn't that hard to figure out. Surely that man had to know that gun was loaded when he pointed it and pulled the trigger. I can see a toddler or a younger kid doing this, but 18 years old? What the hell? Try as I may, I just can't get my head wrapped around the possibility that someone could be so stupefyingly ignorant at that age. Both the adult who left the gun out and the one who killed his brother should be charged, and I for one would love to see one of the prosecution's attorneys ask him what the hell he was thinking when he was pointing that gun at his brother and had his finger on the trigger. Wonder how long it'll take Lisa Falkenberg to gin up a column saying we should all have sympathy for that poor, pooooor kid and push for ever tighter gun laws to prevent such traaaaagedies. For teh childrenses, you see...