Saturday, December 15, 2007

"...but I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."

Now playing here: Johnny Cash, "Folsom Prison Blues," from his 1968 landmark album Live At Folsom Prison. I think the first time I ever heard that song was back during my high school years in east Texas in the mid-'90s, on Larry Scott's Interstate Road Show on KWKH out of Shreveport, Louisiana. Many nights I'd lie awake and I heard a lot of the music they play on KILT every Saturday night. That was my first real taste of the old country and I don't think anything's been the same since...

8:03 pm: "...now all the folks around South Louisiana, said Amos was a hell of a man, he could trap the biggest, the meanest alligator, and just use one hand...."

8:30 pm: "...She said, 'hello, country bumpkin, how's the frost out on the pumpkin....'"

9:29 pm: Tammy Wynette, "D-I-V-O-R-C-E," 1968. I think this is probably my favorite Tammy Wynette song, along with the George Jones duet "Golden Ring" from eight years later...