Friday, May 08, 2009

So Toyota lost money too...

...according to this report from the AP. But I guess that was only natural, considering they make a lot of money on the pickup sales and those have taken such a big hit in the last couple of years. And going back to yesterday's musings, both Toyota and Ford, even if they're not in the best of shape right now, will be in a prime position when the new car sales pick up again, if their marketing departments are savvy enough. Maybe it's because of my perspective on this whole thing, but if I were one of the advertising gurus at Toyota or Ford, I'd be looking at ways to capitalize on that taxpayer anger over the GM-Chrysler bailouts. "Hey, we've lost money too, but we didn't come looking for a handout of more of your money like GM, Chrysler and the banks did, and we're still making quality vehicles." Of course, considering who's in charge now I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of reprisal against that. And we all know how the media would try to spin that -- "Toyota and Ford are taking advantage of circumstances that GM and Chrysler couldn't avoid!" -- but I still think that'd make for a great ad campaign.