Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Country. You keep using that term."

"I do not think it means what you think it means."

He did do country songs on idol, Jesus takes the wheel, hope you dance, what hurts the most and I think there’s one more.
Goodness, what can I say to that? "I Hope You Dance" was arguably Lee Ann Womack's most pop-sounding song, to the point that MCA was able to make a top-40 remix of it. I might've given the dude some credit if he'd done, say, "Does My Ring Burn Your Finger" or "I May Hate Myself In the Morning." To paraphrase one of CMW's comments from last year, are we to understand that the closest Danny Gokey can get to traditional country is a poppish detour by a solid traditionalist? And those other two choices pretty much speak for themselves. Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts. Really. I wonder if these people think that if you call a turd a chocolate eclair that automatically makes it one. Hand to God, this was my Facebook status yesterday afternoon as a certain song was playing on Sirius:

"'...Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite....because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinkin' it....' Ahhh, Megadeth. You see what Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood have driven me to listen to?"