Saturday, October 31, 2009

So the country music genre has come to this...

...covers, that is, of Hall and Oates and Nickelback -- and not even one of Nickelback's GOOD songs, fer cryin' out loud! I know there are people who will say, "it's just music, can't you judge it on its own merits?" The thing about it is, the term "country music" rightly means something to a lot of people and because of that things like the aforementioned covers come off to this country music fan as the audio equivalent of a raised middle finger. I heard Jimmy Wayne's cover of the Hall and Oates song "Sara Smile" this morning (when I went OFF the presets again, Sabra -- I need to break myself of that habit!) and it was like a car wreck. You just couldn't look away. It's worth asking why hacks like Jimmy Wayne and Bucky Covington choose to dump these steaming piles of crap on the country genre.