Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Something else to make a man skittish...

...about tying that legal, and sometimes Gordian, knot...

Dear Abby:
I have been married for four weeks. Two weeks after my wedding I met a man who excites me and makes my heart race. My husband, “Mitch,” and I dated for eight years before getting married. We're both 25.
...
My relationship with Mitch is boring. We spend a lot of time at home and don't go out much. Mitch goes to bed early, and I'm tempted to leave and go see this other man. What do I do?

This is just the perspective of a man looking in from the outside, but it is what it is.
Dated for eight years? And the relationship's just getting boring NOW? Somehow I seriously doubt that. It's worth asking why in the hell she got married in the first place if the relationship was always that boring. You'd think they'd have had the whole compatibility thing figured out and gone their separate ways long before that much time had passed. And you'd think they'd have had at least a little set-to before this point. Damn sure makes me see there are definitely worse things than being single at my age. I sure hope it's worth it for this woman when that initial passion fades as it so often does. But then I suppose I could be wrong about that. That passion could well be something that lasts a lifetime. (If circumstances had been different I'd have had it myself...) She may have tried to talk to her husband and he brushed her off. But going from what she said in the letter, her only qualm with him is that he's "boring." Some might see the whole thing differently, and that's quite all right...but at any rate, I am quite glad I am not the man in that situation.