Saturday, March 11, 2006

A sad anniversary...in more ways than one

Little did I know it, but yesterday was the 10-year anniversary of the Dunblane school massacre -- those of us who keep up with gun politics remember this as what prompted the UK to ban private ownership of handguns. The quote from Kenneth Burroughs, author of the War Universe, comes to mind.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

And I for one am damn glad I don't live in such a society. As a gun owner who abides fully by the laws and keeps his guns locked up (well, except for the .45 beside the bed), I for the life of me cannot understand why I should bear ANY responsibility for the acts of mutants such as Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, or, for that matter, anyone who commits a crime with a handheld weapon. It seems to me that personal responsibility is an anachronism for far too many people, most notably the treasonous bastards at the Brady Campaign (formerly known as Handgun Control), the Violence Policy Center and the various and sundry other gun prohibitionist groups out there. God help us if ever we go down that road...it will be opening the gates of the Sanctuary just a little bit wider.