Thursday, March 01, 2007

Exciting Music News

All I can say is, it's about time...


Alan Jackson, George Strait and Jimmy Buffett's May 29, 2004, concert bash at Dallas' Texas Stadium is the source for a 15-track live album due April 3 via MCA Nashville. The aptly named "Live at Texas Stadium" features each man performing five tracks, both on his own and in collaboration with the other two artists.

...


Here is the track list for "Live at Texas Stadium:"

George Strait:
"Honk if You Honky Tonk"
"Murder on Music Row" (with Alan Jackson)
"Milk Cow Blues"
"Cowboys Like Us"
"All My Ex's Live in Texas" (with Jimmy Buffett)

Jimmy Buffett:
"Hey Good Lookin'" (with George Strait)
"Sea of Heartbreak" (with George Strait)
"Northeast Texas Women"
"Boats To Build" (with Alan Jackson)
"Margaritaville" (with Alan Jackson)

Alan Jackson:
"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" (with Jimmy Buffett)
"Designated Drinker" (with George Strait)
"Texas Woman"
"Seven Bridges Road"
"Where I Come From"


I can't even say how excited I am about this..this CD is going to be awesome beyond verbal description. I was at that show, and it was the same -- I remember well the rumors after the show that it was going to be on some kind of live recording and needless to say, the news of this recording finally making its way to the stores is long, LONG overdue. As a Strait fan, I've longed for a live recording of "Milk Cow Blues" for years (even if we can't have a live cut of "There Stands The Glass" this is every bit as good), and the duet of "Designated Drinker" is a keeper too, as it was (I believe) the first time George and Alan ever sang it together live. And this was the first time in years that Strait has done "All My Ex's" live, as far as I know (I've seen Strait 13 times since 1996, with the most recent being at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Tuesday night). I can say it was a hell of a surprise to see Buffett come out on stage and sing it with him as well. That was also the first time I ever heard Alan's rendition of the old bluegrass tune "Seven Bridges Road," and he did a hell of a job on it. (Incidentally, the Hank Jr. song is "Texas Women.") And Buffett's show was quite an experience, with his selected songs being high points of the show as well. "Margaritaville" was the first song on his encore, if I remember correctly, and you could barely hear him, George and Alan because of the crowd. It was, for lack of a better word, rockin'. ;-)
Come on, April 3....