Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Few Words on Certain Guns

It seems I get more than a few referrals from assorted search engines on certain kinds of pistols, and how to field-strip them, disassemble them, etc. Among the kinds of pistols people are looking for information on how to field-strip are:

Jennings
Lorcin
Raven
Davis Industries
Bryco Arms

To tell the truth, y'all, I don't have any idea on how to disassemble these pistols. I don't own any and don't plan to; once, not long ago at work, I was telling a friend of a lady I work with about my gun collection -- Rugers, Kimbers and a Springfield Armory 1911. He told me, "That's a real nice collection you got there."
And I told him, "The Saturday Night Specials have their place, I'll admit, it just is not in my safe."
Guns like the ones mentioned above do serve a purpose -- self-defense for the poor. But they'll only take you so far. From where I sit, guns like those are a stop-gap measure, intended only to fill their intended purpose until you can get your hands on something better -- and you nigh well should be working towards something better while you have that little cheap pocket pistol. I've seen a few comments here and there on how to disassemble one of those pistols that involved a hard, flat surface, a sledgehammer, and a trip to your friendly local gun store to pick up a quality used firearm. While I am not one to advocate wanton destruction of even the cheapest, poorest-made pistols, the fact is that if you're willing to spend a little more, say, $200-300, your options increase considerably. As I sit here I am looking at an ad for a Smith & Wesson 586 .357 Magnum, 6" barrel, Hogue grips, trigger job and other stuff for $325. Quality can be had if you really want it, but you're gonna have to pay, one way or another. Buy those cheap pistols if you really need them, but only till you can save up for something better, all the while keeping your eye out for that something better.