Saturday, September 25, 2010

Well, why would they?

From the San Antonio Express-News:

How do Slayer's and Megadeth's albums hold up in a live setting 20 years down the line? Rock critic Bill Brownlee caught the two bands last month at Capitol Federal Park at Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs, Kan.

“As each band performed the entirety of those albums,” Brownlee wrote in the Kansas City Star, “it became clear that neither work has lost any of its sinister significance.”
Why would that music lose any of its significance? I can't really speak on Slayer, as Tom Araya's singing style never appealed to me so I never explored their music that much -- but I do have Megadeth's Rust in Peace, and it's a great record. There are those who say it's the band's best, but I don't have all of them so I can't really make a decision on that -- but it is very, very good. "Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)," "Hangar 18," "Tornado of Souls," the title track -- all those songs are timeless classics of the genre and stand quite well on their own merits both lyrically and musically. Metal itself at best is given short shrift as a genre and at worst is looked down upon by so many people, but it's every bit as valid and vital a genre of American and world music as any other. And, yes, 20 years later Rust In Peace is still a great record. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I hate that it took me 20 years to discover this music. I was missing out on so, so very much.