Sunday, July 25, 2010

Stupid radio edits

...or, The pussification of terrestrial country radio continues.

I should preface this by saying I don't make it a habit to listen to San Antonio country radio. I'd heard enough complaints from Sabra about about KJ97 and Y100 that I figured it'd be best to stay away from them. It'd take a lot for me to be pulled away from the satellite radio anyway, though KISS 99.5 is actually a pretty good rock station and I've really gotten to like KKYX...

The other day I made a run to Bill Miller's and HEB and left my satellite radio at the house, so I was left with terrestrial. So I surfed, as I am wont to do, and came up on Y100 playing the Zac Brown Band's "Toes," which as far as mainstream country songs go is pretty edgy, with the line about the dude having his "ass in the sand" and "roll(ing) a big fat one." But what do I hear when they get to that first line?

"I got my toes in the water, toes in the clay."

And radio programmers (and supposedly audiences) had a problem with the word "ass" here but two summers ago had no problem with the blatant sexual overtones in Rascal Flatts' "Bob That Head"? What the hell is wrong with people?