Saturday, February 09, 2008

Random Saturday Morning Musical Observations

I guess the anti-gunners must think we're all like the main character in the old Johnny Cash song "Don't Take Your Guns To Town," who drew his gun because someone laughed at him. I'm almost surprised someone hasn't brought that up in the comments to Josh Sugarmann's or Paul Helmke's posts at the Huffington Post. But I'm betting it'll come, sooner or later. They're just that intellectually bankrupt.
Am I the only one who thought it was a bit hypocritical of Charlie Rich to burn the envelope when John Denver won the CMA Entertainer of the Year award in 1975? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it would seem to me that Charlie Rich wasn't really any more of a country artist than John Denver was. It'd be like Faith Hill burning the envelope if Rascal Flatts won. As someone observed long ago in a discussion I was participating in, this is just a bit absurd. It ain't Tammy vs. Loretta or Merle vs. George we're talking about here.