Friday, April 28, 2006

So I went to see United 93...

...and even now I am on edge. Of course, we all know what happens in the movie and how it ends, but still I was not expecting the emotional wallop the movie packed. Did I think it would get to me? Yup, even just as I watched the trailer...but the trailer doesn't do the whole movie justice. I do not want to spoil it for anyone, but I will freely admit I broke down and cried when they showed the people on the plane telling their families goodbye for the last time. Pissed me off? You bet it did. I sit here and think about how assholes like Kos can sit there and smugly proclaim they're so over that black day in September, and I try not to pay much mind to them, but when I think about that and contrast it with the images presented in "United 93," it just makes my blood boil. It's bad enough that these adherents to the so-called "Religion of Peace" want to kill us, but to see people sit there and effectively proclaim that the threat Islam poses isn't a big deal, and to see them so easily "get over it," is just completely beyond my comprehension. Time will tell, but I'd like to think that "United 93" will snap some of these people out of their stupor and wake them up to the fact that yes, there are people out there who want to KILL us, and it would be in our best interests to KILL THEM FIRST before they got that chance. I was discussing the movie with a fella I work with last week, and he mentioned the songs "Have You Forgotten" by Darryl Worley and "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" by Toby Keith, and said those songs came to mind when he thought of what's been going on since 9-11. I told him that I can understand the points those songs were trying to make (more so with Worley's song), but that I think "United 93" will do a much better job of driving those points home. It's one thing to just ask the plaintive question "Have you forgotten?" But it's quite another to put the events on the big screen for all the world to see -- the fright and deep sadness of the passengers on the plane, the cold fanaticism of the Muslim hijackers, the confusion and tension on the ground in the air traffic control centers, and last, but certainly most of all, the heroism of those brave souls who stormed the cockpit of that plane in a last-ditch effort to save their lives and the lives of God knows how many others on the ground -- to see to it that we do not forget. The American character was on fine display on that plane that sunny but oh-so-dark September day. God bless them, every one...may they all rest in peace.