Saturday, May 10, 2008

Snakes on the Range!

For real, yo...
I was out at my friendly local gun club this morning with my Springfield 1911, and as I was driving out there I saw a small snake slithering across the road. As it did, I just thought, whoa...because the range itself is more or less the same kind of terrain I was driving through, albeit without the tall grass and such. So I got out there and set up my target and as I was walking back, one of those snakes slithered right across my path, probably not 5 inches from where I had just stepped. I jumped and was like, "oh, shit!" As far as I could tell it was one of those little garden-type snakes, but it still freaked me out a bit. I did have fun shooting, though...but even a bad day at the range beats a good day at work. ;-)
I was shooting regular old Winchester White Box 230-grain full-metal-jacket, and I stopped to get it at Walmart. The guy in line in front of me handed the checker a piece of paper with the type of cartridge his friend had sent him after, and he said, "I don't know nothin' 'bout no guns." I thought it was pretty funny considering he said it in a real thick East Texas accent, like he came from so far back in the sticks they had to bring sunshine in by truck. It just goes to show you that the stereotypes the antis perpetuate about us aren't necessarily true, even in a place like Texas.
What his friend was looking for got me to thinking, though. 165-grain .40S&W full metal jacket. But the only .40 FMJ they had was the 180-grainers, and that's the only weight I could find for my 10mm when I go to loading for it as well. I'd love to find some of those 155- or 165-grain jacketed ball projectiles for rolling my own 10mm...the only ones I've been able to find are the copper-plated Rainier bullets, and if you drive those too fast out of the gun you run into leading issues, and I'd rather not deal with that. The only lighter jacketed bullets I've been able to find are the premium hollowpoints from Speer and Hornady, and while a 155-grain bullet at 1400 feet per second is just tons of fun, I'd really rather not be spending that kind of money when ball is cheaper. Of course, I'll still do it every once in a while...