Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hey, I wasn't the only one!

Looks like I was not the only one who was disturbed about the lack of coverage of San Jacinto Day, as evidenced by a smattering of letters in this morning's Chronicle...

Thank you for your excellent coverage of San Jacinto Day. Oh, that's right, there wasn't any.
I don't think you covered the anniversary of the Alamo, either. I remember when people in Texas cared about Texas history.
...

Happy San Jacinto Day! How come I didn't see you recognize the Texans who fought for your freedoms? Is it because:
a) You don't care?
b) You don't know your history?
c) You are scared it will anger your Hispanic readers?
...
Based on how a certain demographic pissed and moaned when the idea was floated of naming Houston's professional soccer team after the year the city was founded, I'll take C, and that's my final answer. And once again, I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask where exactly the aggrieved demographic's allegiances lie.