Thursday, November 09, 2006

This Does Not Compute

A comment on a post at The Gun Nut...(emphasis mine --ed.)


Gun control with Democrats is a truism. The Party believes its a voter issue as some Baptists believe in total immersion. Oddly, I see congressional politicians becoming overall more conservative. Many of the Democrats voted in last night aren’t very liberal. I think Nancy P. will have her hands full keeping a Democratic House all in line.

I would like to believe more will be done for the shooting sports in access with Democrats running Congress. GOP wasn’t a friend to hunters and anglers. For Democrats to be against hunting and fishing access is like being against Mom and apple pie. Even Schumer and Hillary claim to signed on to The 2005 Open Fields Bill.

Well, I would say that for anyone to be against hunting and fishing access is like being against Mom and apple pie, but that's just me...
What really gets me, though, is what this guy says, noted in bold, specifically, "Gun control with Democrats is a truism. The Party believes its a voter issue as some Baptists believe in total immersion...I would like to believe more will be done for the shooting sports in access with Democrats running Congress." Call me crazy, I may well be misinterpreting this, but it seems to me that he's saying, "Democrats want more gun control, it's just one of those things like the sun rising in the east, but more good might be done for the shooting sports, and that's all that matters to me." In that case, it looks like yet another Fuddite throwing us non-hunters under the bus, yet again. And once again, it must be said, that it doesn't matter what's out there to hunt, or what kind of access you have to it, if there's nothing left to hunt with. I would say what I really think...but I won't say that, because that would be sinking to their level, and I won't do that, as tempting as it may be. What I am thinking, I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, even if they did deserve it. I just wish these people would wake up and see the truth in what Thomas Jefferson said: "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
I hope it doesn't take New Orleans-style gun confiscations for them to see that. But I am increasingly afraid that it will.